Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Top 10 favorite goals - # 7



I am actually old enough to have watched the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team on television. Being a 12-year-old hockey fan, I watched every game.

As you may remember - or have seen in the movie Miracle - the first game vs. Sweden was an important game. A loss would have really hurt the teams chances of advancing to the medal round and Al Michaels really highlighted the importance of that fact during the live telecast. So, down 2-1 with less than one minute left, Bill Baker was on the ice for pulled goaltender, Jim Craig, and scored the tying goal on a long slapshot.

I was ecstatic to watch USA tie the game. And while there were many great players and stories in 1980, I really appreciated the importance of the goal being noted in "Miracle" - the best hockey movie of all time!

No comments: