Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Top 10 favorite goals - # 4

This is a no-brainer - June 10, 1996. I know you are thinking that ranking seems low. While this goal did come at the end of an amazing - previously scoreless - triple-overtime game, it was a bit anti-climactic. By that I mean that the AVS had a 3-0 game lead in the series and it was clear that they were the much better team. Winning The Cup was inevitable, and some of us - especially people like me who had game 5 tickets - were sort of hoping for the win on home ice.Nevertheless.....the AVS had pressure and were buzzing the net. Florida tried a weak clear up the boards that was knocked down by Uwe Krupp. And as much as I was always lukewarm on Krupp and his game, he did what you should always do in O.T. - he put the puck on net. Of course, I don't need to tell you who had the screen on the Beezer - as the picture indicates.

And so it was, Denver had it's first major championship. All of us Avalanche fans (and ticket holders) had a reason to celebrate. As a hockey fan, this is one of those special moments you live for.

No comments: