Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Editorial # 13 - Mandatory protective equipment?

I recently had the staff at the Big Bear Player's Bench break my helmet as they installed a new shield. They suggested that I wear the helmet without a sheild / cage and play in our game. Huh? I returned the new shield for a new helmet with a cage.

Call me a sissy, but I play beer league hockey. The list of potential injuries and potential ending of my real, salary-earning, non-hockey career is just too daunting of a thought. At that point it dawned on me again, if NHL hockey were my career why wouldn't I protect my eyes?

I understand all the old-school, neanderthal, mainly Canadian criticisms, but they just do not make sense. I think the NHL should implement mandatory half-shield visors for new players.

Now I do not think neck guards are necessary, but the recent injury to Richard Zednik and the memory of the Clint Malarchuk injury make you wonder. Video of those injuries are here - sorry the video is in French. The equally gruesome pictures are below.


















No comments: